Saturday, February 26, 2011

Acetaldehyde

C2H4O, also modernly known as Ethanal, is an organic aldehyde compound. This means that Ethanal is a highly reactive colorless flammable chemical compound that is used as a starting material to many other chemical compounds.


Above is the Lewis structure of the molecule. By simply looking at the molecule it is easy to say that it is a Polar molecule that can bond to a copy of itself by London Dispersion Forces, Dipole-Dipole Forces, and Hydrogen Bonding.
What is a Polar molecule? What are all these different types of forces and bonds?

3 comments:

  1. I thought that the general appearance of this blog was nice, and easy to read. I especially liked the pictures and the color scheme of your blog. I agree with the assessment of the polarity of the bonds and molecule, and found the detailed explanation of the polarity of the bonds was very informative. I also liked the pictures of the structure of the molecule, although an additional picture of the 3D structure of the molecule would have been helpful. In addition to this, I believe that the molecule exhibits London forces, dipole-dipole forces and hydrogen bonding as well, which is consistent to the information presented in the blog. Lastly, I found the ad to be educational and presented many of the different characteristics of Acetaldehyde.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the way that you labeled the forces of attraction, it made it very clear what they were. I also liked your picture which clearly depicts the Lewis structure.

    ReplyDelete